The College of Arts and Sciences is dedicated to promoting and support the UW’s efforts to protect the health and safety of all of our faculty, staff, students and visitors; as well as the environment. The health and safety of our campus is not the sole responsibility of any one individual, department, or office. Every member of our campus community should recognize that it is a shared responsibility and that each of us has a personal role in maintaining a safe and healthy work environment. We hope that leaders, at all levels, will take an active role in working with faculty, staff and students to foster an environment of safety awareness by providing necessary training and by setting an ideal example for others to follow.
2017 The College of Arts & Science's Health & Safety Comittee (Group #6) CALL FOR NOMINATIONS has CLOSED:
Health and Safety Committee #6 representing the College of Arts and Sciences has opened the call for nominations to serve on the committee for the 2018 - 2019 term. The formal call for nominations closed on Friday, October 20th, 2017.
After verification of willingness to serve by all nomineees is confirmed a ballot will be sent out the week of October 23rd to all CAS Chairs and administrators to pass on to faculty and staff.
The current CAS HSC roster can be found here.
The Department of Labor and Industries requires annual employee elections for HSC's. The University of Washington has a variance allowing elections every two years. Staff or faculty, whether full-time, temporary, hourly, or student workers, are eligible to participate.
Please, contact the Fall 2017 election coordinator, Dean's Office member, Maggie Luning (firstname.lastname@example.org / (206) 685-8036), with any questions.
More information about the HSC election process and membership:
2016 OSHA 300A UW Seattle Campus Summaries:
Please, see "University of Washington Seattle Campus, Including UW Medical Center" link on the EHS website.
Updating Department EEOP's or FSEP's:
CAS Safety Coordinators should update their department's Emergency Evacuation and Operations Plan (EEOP). The Fire and Safety Evacuation Plan (FSEP) template can be used instead of the EEOP template. It is not necessary, but the FSEP is a shorter template option.
A copy of every CAS Department's EEOP or FSEP should be sent to Maggie Luning (email@example.com) at the CAS Dean's Office.
Please, see links below for more information about updating your department's/building's evacuation plan:
For more information on Building Safety, please, see EHS's Building Safety Resources.
Many EH&S activities are mandated by law or policy. These pages are designed to assist Staff, Faculty, and Students to administer and comply with those policies.
Your responsibilities if you are a(n):
- Dean, Director, Chair, Supervisor
- Employee: Faculty, Staff, or Student
- Instructor: Faculty or TA
- Departmental Coordinator for Health & Safety
- Committee #6 Member
- All Employees
- How to report an accident/incident
- How to investigate an accident/incident (requires PowerPoint)
- Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)/Chemical/SDS Search
- Asbestos Training (online)
- Fume Hood Training (online)
- Hazardous Waste Management (online)
- Ergonomic Awareness
- UW Emergency Management (UWEM) Training
- Information Security (online & iPad versions)
- Safe Campus videos
- General Training Workshops offered by EH&S
- Green Dot Training & Emotional First Aid for Staff and Faculty
General Wellness Resources
- UW CareLink (Employee Assistance Program)
- Wellness Resource Center
- Smoking Cessation
- Fresh Air Campus Challenge
- Lactation Stations
- UW NightRide Program
- Husky NightWalk offered by UWPD
- Green Dot: Power-based Violence Reduction
- Campus Safety Portal
- Active Shooter Info from UWPD
- EH&S – Environmental Health & Safety
- Emergency Evacuation Assembly Point (EAP) Map
- UW Emergency Management (UWEM)
- UWEM: How UW Communicates During Crisis & Emergencies Toolkit (PDF)
- UWEM: Earthquake "Know Your Hazards"
- UW’s Health and Safety Policies
- UW Police
- UWPD crime tips
- UW Alert
- UW Alert Emergency Blog
- Safe Campus
- The Safe Zone Project (GBLTQI safety resources)
College of Arts & Sciences' Health and Safety Committee/Group #6(HSC6) :
Disclaimer: The pages of this website are meant to assist their viewers in complying with UW policies regarding Environmental Health & Safety and Emergency Management. These pages are neither comprehensive nor official with regard to these policies. Identifying and complying with UW policies remains the responsibility of those persons and offices designated by the policies.