Cherry Blossoms

Leaves and vacancies replacements

Dean's Office contacts: Ivy Mason-Sharrah, Linda Nelson, Divisional Dean 

Temporary filling of vacancies.Each Spring Quarter the department chair should review the leaves, vacancies, and time-fraction reductions of faculty for the coming year. This information and the proposed replacement plans are sent to the Dean's Office on a specific form--see the Salary release-recapture policy section and the Salary release-recapture form.

Searches for permanent faculty positions.The Dean's Office must approve all searches for permanent faculty positions. Approval to search is independent of any specific vacancy that might have occurred in a department, since all vacant positions revert to the College for reallocation to areas of greatest need and opportunity. Any unit may submit a request for a position, whether or not a vacancy has occurred during the previous year.

The normal practice is for a vacant position to remain vacant for one year. There are three reasons:

(1) Funds are needed to support the transitions that occur after vacancies. By retaining the recapture funds for one year, a department can reallocate teaching responsibilities to accommodate the change in the number of faculty FTE or to bridge to a new hire.

(2) Funds are needed to provide College reserves. The College has no permanent reserve, choosing instead to distribute to units as much of the permanent budget as possible. The reserve is funded largely through the College share of leave recapture.

(3) The separation of a vacancy from a new search allows for improved planning. The delay of a year can result in better long-term decisions regarding the future of a department. In a few instances the need for continuity in a program might be compelling, but in general the additional time will be advantageous to a unit.

During Spring Quarter, the Dean's Office invites departments to submit proposals for the allocation of College faculty positions. Justifications for position allocations should be prepared carefully, giving attention to overall scholarly and instructional needs and considering interdisciplinary cooperation between units. Proposals are submitted on the form Approve search request. Searches are normally approved at the rank of Assistant Professor or lower; only in extraordinary circumstances is a search authorized at a higher rank. Vacancies occurring after the request deadline usually will not be reassigned for search until the following year, with temporary funds available to cover teaching requirements.