Cherry Blossoms

Gift Spending & Management

(Reviewed Oct. 13, 2020)

Many donors to the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) have chosen to support the University by making either a current use or endowed gift with the intention of transforming the faculty and student experience. One of the most important ways we steward our relationships with our donors is by respecting their intent regarding spending the money that results from their giving. Failure to utilize the funds or spend in accordance with donor intent can lead to negative donor relations as well as legal consequences.


Addressing Unspent Balances

Back to Top

This outlines the basic options for utilizing gift funds with large unspent balances. Note that for CAS's endowments, the Dean's Office implemented a new policy in FY19 aimed at endowments with large balances. The Dean's Office would reinvest any balances over the prior year's worth of endowment distributions, unless the unit developed a spending plan and requested a waiver.  

Loosening Spending Restrictions

Back to Top

At times, strict restrictions on allowable expenses may impair your ability to utilize the fund at all. The following three documents outline the most common solutions for these situations. The memorandum to file is used to temporarily expand the agreement's restrictions, while amendments usually involve coordinating with our central partners and the donors to revise the restrictive language. UPMIFA's are typically used when the donor is no longer living, and a normal amendment is impossible. 

Other Resources

Back to Top

Please note that we are in the process of writing new documentation, and we may add sections and move links. There may be topics we have not included yet, so please feel free to reach out to us, using the Contacts section below. Thanks for your patience!


Back to Top

Please contact the Advancement Services team anytime at with questions or for more information about how we can help your department steward your donors. Additionally, you are welcome to reach out directly to either Mike on the Advancement Services team or Debbie in the Dean's Office:


Mike Lee, Fiscal Stewardship Specialist | 206.616.5526

For spending consultations, amendments, and help locating or reading gift fund agreements.


Theresa Mejia, Manager, Endowment & Gift Documentation
Advancement Services | 206.616.5373

For spending consultations, amendments, and help locating or reading gift fund agreements.


Debbie Olson, Assistant Director of Finance & Administration
Dean's Office | 206.616.4414

For spending consultations and fund merges/reinvestment requests.